A total of 41 wines from 33 producers were entered.
The five winning Cape Blends and their components are:
- Blake’s Amethyst (Shiraz, Pinotage, Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Clos Malverne Spirit of Malverne (Pinotage, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz)
- Kaapzicht Steytler Vision (Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinotage, Merlot)
- Painted Wolf Peloton Rouge (Pinotage, Shiraz, Merlot, Grenache, Mourvèdre)
- Rhebokskloof The Rhebok Cape Blend (Shiraz, Mourvèdre, Pinotage)
The five other finalists in this year’s Perold Absa Cape Blend Competition were:
- Bottega Family Wines Idiom C 2010
- KWV Abraham Perold Tributum 2012
- Spier Wines Creative Block 8 2012
- Wildekrans Cape Blend Barrel Select Reserve 2012
- Windmeul Cape Blend Reserve 2013
“The exciting thing about the Cape Blend wine category - besides it being uniquely South African - is the diversity if offers,” said Beyers Truter, Chaiiman of The Pinotage Association. “Apart from the borders drawn by the prescribed Pinotage component, the winemaker basically has a clean slate with which to work, causing a category that is as diverse as it is innovative.
Some wines use Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon for a more traditional, Old World Pinotage complement, while the Rhône varieties bring a New World juicy plushness. You must just know, if you do not find a Cape Blend that fits your palate, you are probably not a red wine drinker!”
According to Craig Bond, Chief Executive of Business and Retail Banking at Barclays Africa, Pinotage and the Cape Blend category of wines are truly unique jewels in the crown that is the South African wine industry. “This partnership reflects our long-standing commitment not only to the Pinotage Association but to the South African wine industry as a whole. Our corporate philosophy is strongly centred around ideas, innovation and creativity, and the Cape Blend winemakers reflect these values with their dynamic and passionate search for wines that have an own identity, are creatively put together and reflect the excellence of Brand South Africa, of which we as a bank are proud to be a part of."